This question could be answered in many different ways, depending on who is asked. I do not think there is an exact definition to the word math. Since I am a mathematics major, math means more to me then some. To me math is more then just a subject learned in school, calculations, geometry, shapes, numbers, and formulas. I have found that mathematics includes explanation, critical thinking, logic, problem solving, and daily activities. Everyone uses mathematics everyday in different ways. Before college I thought mathematics was what I learned in high school. After taking multiple math classes throughout my college years, I have learned math is much more then what is on the surface. I have learned the deeper understanding of math, like why things work the way they do when math is involved. Math is an amazing topic. Nobody could ever know every single thing there is about math because it keeps growing!
Without doing research about mathematics, I do not know many big moments that have happened. I have not had the opportunity to research mathematicians. I mainly learn about the content in my classes. As a future educator, the biggest moments in mathematics are going to differ then others. The top 5 moments I am going to talk about, would change how math is taught if they were never discovered.
(1) A big discovery that most people know about is pi. Pi is a famous number and some people celebrate pi day on March 14th every year.
(2) Another big moment that has helped shape math is the Pythagorean Theorem. This theorem helps us in triangles and finding missing side lengths. In one of my math classes I had to prove the Pythagorean Theorem and I found that most beneficial because I was able to see how it worked.
(3) A huge discovery in math is the basic operations. These basic operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. People use these operations everyday. In my eyes they are the most important discovery in mathematics.
(4) NUMBERS! What would math be if there were no numbers? It would be very hard to do math without any numbers.
(5) In grade school most of us had to learn the quadratic formula. If I did not have to learn the quadratic formula I would not have been able to solve some math problems. I think the quadratic formula is powerful tool used in algebra. It helps us solve quadratic equations.